Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Letter to Amy Roloff regarding link to Focus on the Family and Jeremy's use of hate speech

The following is a letter that was recently sent to Amy Roloff. It is relevant to many of the issues and concerns that have been raised on this page. It is an accurate representation of what many people have felt following the National Enquirer article revealing Jeremy's racist and homophobic slurs on-line and Amy's website link to Focus on the Family. The author of the letter granted us permission to share her letter on this with you. To this date, Dec 4, 2008, the author reports that she has not received a response from Amy Roloff.

Amy... I do not wish to be unfair...

I also wish that you and your family had a good Thanksgiving.

I might as well be totally honest with you...

When I was a child I went to the circus with my papa in Paris, France-- Where I was born and raised. This was in the early 70's-- so I am dating myself!

The circus had an act that was performed by little people-- and truly-- I now know that the opportunities LP have had over the years has been something which has evolved-- even in the time span from the 70's until now. Looking back, I wonder if this was the best way they could make a living to support themselves and I deplore that fact.

The act scared me-- and I carried a slight fear of little people into my adulthood.

When your television program came on TLC I was happy to be able to watch it and rid myself of that foolish fear. I sincerly enjoyed season one-- and really grew to like and admire you. I thought you were the kind of woman I would want as a friend.

I saw in you a kinship of sorts. I am also a strong woman... And I love my children and I love being a mom.

I cried when you told of how you feared they would take your children away from you when you were pregnant. I couldn't imagine such a thing and I am grateful to you for opening my eyes to what must have been a very real fear of yours.

The very fact that you had to fear losing something and someone you loved over something you had absolutely no control over really bothered me...

Just like I think it should bother you that things like Proposition 8 was passed in California. Yes, I know that the voters have spoken... But I wonder if, put to a vote in the south in 1954-- how school integration would have faired (Brown versus Board of Education). I also wonder what the Germans might have voted in the 1940's regarding the Jews, the Catholics, the little people and the gays-- amongst others who were exterminated.

Would the fact that the people in the south might have voted school integration down make it any less of the 'right thing to do' that it was? Had the Germans voted to kill millions of people in the concentration camps -- would that have made the Holocaust OK? Of course not....

I do not believe that a gay person chooses to be gay any more than you chose to be a little person-- or an African American person chose to be black.

I was particularly offended and put off when the National Enquirer exposed your son Jeremy's My Space page-- filled with hate speech. I was even more put off by your families lack of an appropriate response.

I do not expect this issue to have been dealt with on the show-- that is not necessarily the focus of it-- but I did expect something.

I have teenage sons. I understand the challenges that come with raising them-- and I FULLY understand the 'pick your battles' stance that parents have to take. Perhaps you did address this-- as I hope and pray you did-- anti-hate is always a battle worth waging.

The main reason I contacted you via your website was your link to Focus on the Family. Personally, I find it incredulous that someone who wishes to encourage tolerance and understanding does not display this same trait.

In a nutshell-- I just don't understand.

I would like a reply, but don't really expect one.

Sincerely, A***** M*****

19 comments:

AM said...

I am the author of this letter to Amy-- and I sent it to her email account after receiving a reply from her after I sent her a message via her website. Her response to me-- which prompted this email to her was:

Thank you for your email. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

I wanted to clarify if you were requesting me for a speaking engagement in your area? If so, I would very much be interested and currently filling up additional dates for the 2009 calendar year. If you could provide me with additional information that would be helpful. We can then begin to discuss your event, date/time, requirements and other needs you may have.

Thank you for stopping by my website. Please feel free to email me with additional information and if you have any questions and I will respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Amy



This after a comment to her regarding my opinion of her support of FOTF.

gsc said...

Sounds like a canned roboresponse.

Razor28 said...

Excellent letter. Bravo. Disappointing that she has no answer.

Trina said...

Amy's speech about her fear of losing HER children was my favorite part of the show ever.

I keep hoping there is some kind of misunderstanding for all of this - FOTH and Jeremy's comments.

It doesn't look good...

Derek O said...

I think it is very clear. The Roloffs don't care about diveristy or acceptance.

The Roloffs care about the Roloffs. That's it.

I don't think Amy cares one iota that Jeremy ridiculed gay people.

AM said...

Trina-- For me too!

I sat there and cried-- almost sobbed...

It was the moment I decided to keep watching the show-- something which has grown harder for me to do.

Erica said...

Classy letter. I wish I had written it.

Timothy said...

I think Amy, like many Christians, have raised her kids to not respect gay people as human beings with the same rights and dreams as everyone else.

Jeremy makes fun of gay people because he's not been taught to respect them.

I wish Amy would realize that gay people fall under the same category as she does - people seeking acceptance just has she does and the right to have a family and kids as she does.

Alana said...

I sincerely hope that Amy and Jeremy aren't hateful or prejudiced against any group of people. Focus on the Family does have some good advice for parents - that part of it has nothing to do with their political involvement with anti-gay issues.

As for Amy's lack of response to the NE about Jeremy - I think she's trying to protect her son and feels if she speaks about it she will make it worse.

I think she's mistaken because the silence is viewered as her not caring, but I believe that's where she is coming from.

Alana

DJ said...

Very articulate letter. And to the point.

It's all very hypocritical.

Gregory Marshall said...

Just because the Roloffs belong to a minority group doesn't mean they need to be sympathetic to all other minority groups.

Leigh B said...

A.M and Trina,

Amy is at her best when her love for her children jumps through the screen, her emotion is that strong.

Her fear of losing her children is an example.

The helplessness she expressed if her kids had been seriously hurt growing up and she needed to physically move them was another example.

Her look of concern when she was in the hospital following Jacob's head injury.

That's what I love about Amy.

I hope her support of Focus on the Family and her lack of a response to the National Enquirer article is nothing more than a poorly thought out business decision.

Roxanne said...

I wish Amy would answer.

Twitter22 said...

I agree with everything the letter said except I think they should put it on the show. It's a reality show right? Jeremy was in the National freaken Enquirer!! What's real about having that happen and pretending like it didn't happen?

leonel said...

Well I for one do not expect any sort of response from the Roloff family. Sometimes, no matter how you call attention to talk like Jeremy's, just goes to show that even reasonable people simply just don't know better and may sincerely think they're doing the best they can. Ignoring his actions won't make them go away. The rest of us can acknowledge the circumstances and learn from them. Its probably the best anyone can do.

Sometimes even the most well-intentioned people simply just don't get it and these circumstances just seem.. odd..

I'll continue to watch from the sidelines what the Roloffs are up to. I think they're good people. Its the truly evil people in the world that physically attack others because they don't know any better who terrify me. I'm just not interested in their show anymore because it seems just like any other reality show. Regardless I confess it would be neat to visit their farm. Watching all the free publicity these companies appear to be getting, though.. I don't know..

Honestly, I think the only obstacle I've really witnessed in a long time is Matt struggling to get out of the U-Haul.

Which begs the question.. did anyone find it rather odd that the Roloffs forgot to take one of their company's step stools along on their Florida vacation? Did they negotiate with the owner of that rental home to have one in-house? Personally, looking back it seems there was a missed opportunity..

Anyway, I've lost a lot of respect for the Roloffs in the past several weeks. Its really too bad because when the show first came out they seemed like a beautiful family. I suppose, nothing stays young, sweet and innocent forever.. ;)

Mark said...

Leonel, I agree with everything you said. Loss of respect. That's what it is. I've lost so much respect for the Roloffs since the first time I started watching and loving their show.

Craw said...

Don't compare being a dwarf to being gay.

Amy didn't choose to be a dwarf. People are NOT born gay. There is no gay gene. It's never been proven. They can't prove it. Don't compare them.

Jeremy and his friends making fun of gay people is completely normal. Most guys mock them like that too.

Linda said...

TIMOTHY: Just because Christians have a different POV when it comes to homosexual practices, that doesn't mean that we don't respect gay people. Believe it or not, it is possible to disagree with what someone does and still have respect and love for that person.

I wonder what you have to say about certain members of your group (the "Gay is okay! Love, tolerance, open-mindedness, and acceptance" group) who fail to practice what they preach. I have come across many a member of the group who loves, tolerates and accepts only those who agree with their POV. Everyone else, they treat like dirt. What do you have to say about these people? Are you going to stand up to them? Or are you going to attempt to justify their behavior?

Timothy said...

Linda,

Unfortunately many Christians cross the line between disagreeing with homosexuality and not respecting gays as people.

I'm referring to the way Jeremy and his friends make their jokes, talk, etc....I think they do that because they haven't been taught to respect gays as people with feelings just as they do, just as people with dwarfism have.

I know many wonderful Christians who have nothing but kindness in their hearts for all people - including gay people. Unfortunately there are many Christians who aren't like that.

You can find prejudiced people in any walk of life, but what you describe is not an experience that I'm familiar with.

All people - regardless of religion, race or sexual orientation should be respected and judged on their character and not ridiculed based on those things.

I think Jeremy and his friends demean gay people as they do because they've been taught in their Christian school and at home with Amy's Focus on the Family influence that gay people are less - and when kids are taught that they don't treat them as they would treat anyone else - hence, things like Jeremy's "I don't want to be a gay bragging f*ggot" or the pictures they take that are mocking gay people.

I don't think anyone, including Christians should be ridiculed for being what they are - Christian, Muslim, gay, black, mexican, a dwarf...